Pricing Your Home
Pricing your home is both an art and a science. Achieving the optimal price is the result of both objective research into comparable properties and a gut feeling about your property and the current market. We understand the Sienna real estate market and can do the research for you on comparable properties.
The right price should:
- Attract buyers
- Allow you to earn the most money possible
- Help you sell as quickly as possible
The simple fact is, price is the number one factor that most homebuyers use to determine which homes they want to view. And it's important to remember that, although the price is set by you, the value of the home is determined by the buyer. Try to avoid allowing your enthusiasm to impact your better judgment - overpricing is a common mistake that can cost sellers in the end.
The Importance of Proper Pricing
- Quicker sale and less inconvenience
- Exposure to more prospective buyers
- Increases Realtors® response
- Attracts higher offers (in multiple buyer situations)
- Means more money to Seller
- Avoids being "old news" on the market
What really matters is how your home stacks up against the others currently offered for sale and recently sold in your neighborhood. Buyers will be comparing.
Common Reasons for Overpricing
It can be easy to figure that you'll ask a higher priced than you are willing to accept, for a multitude of reasons. However, this can backfire on you and leave your home stagnant on the local market. Some common reasons for overpricing are:
- Purchasing in higher-priced area
- Original purchase price too high
- Lack of factual data
- To leave "bargaining room"
- Move isn't necessary
- Assessed value
- Emotional attachment
- Opinion of family and neighbors
Dangers of Overpricing
- Most of the activity on your home will occur in the first few weeks. Pricing a home properly and then creating immediate urgency in the minds of agents and buyers is critical.
- Buyers who have seen most available homes in their price range are waiting for the "right house" to come on the market. That's why if a house is priced right, it will sell quickly. The buyers are there waiting for it.
- Don't start with a high price and the assumption that you can reduce it later. By the time you decide to lower the price, it may be too late, as interest will have already waned.
- A major cause for concern is appraisal problems; overpricing can lead to loan rejections and lost time.
- Even if your home is nicer than other homes in the same area, your house won't be picked for viewing if you set the price too high. Many buyers search within a range of prices - you may be keeping yourself out of the market.
- Buyers and agents become aware of the long exposure period and often are hesitant to make an offer because they fear something is wrong with the property.
- Fewer potentially qualified buyers will respond.
- You might help sell similar homes that are priced lower than yours.
- You could lose money as a result of making extra mortgage payments while incurring taxes, insurance and unplanned maintenance costs.
The Role of a Real Estate Agent in Pricing
- To provide you with a comparative market analysis (CMA), a comparison of the prices of recently sold homes that are similar in terms of location, style, and amenities. A CMA is performed by comparing previously sold homes in the area, and currently active homes, so you know your competition.
- There is no "exact price" for real estate. There are several criteria that affect pricing - location, condition of home, age of home, neighborhood, improvements you have made on the home.
- We don't tell you what we think your home is "worth" - the market determines value…together we determine the price.
- Help you determine the price based on the factors you control:
- Marketing time
- Financing alternatives provided
- Exposure method
- Keep in touch with market trends and keep up to date with market activity of comparable homes.
- Estimate your net proceeds.
- Help to determine offering incentives.
An agent has no control over the market, only the marketing plan. But we do KNOW the market. Never select an agent based on price - anyone can give you the price you want to hear. Select an agent on their knowledge and experience in the local market - they will help you determine the best listing price to sell your home as quickly as possible for the optimal price.
We look forward to assisting you!
- Jeff and Whitney Sadler
Missouri City, TX
Selling Sienna, One Home at a Time - Phone: 281.915.4000